Privacy and Security
Notice About Privacy and Security
- This World Wide Web (WWW) site is sponsored by the
Technology Innovation Program of the Environmental Protection Agency. It is
operated under contract by Environmental Management Support, Inc.
- When you come to this website to browse, you do so
anonymously. This computer system does not collect identifying information
about you. We collect only summary information [see
below] about the numbers of individuals who visit our website and what
those individuals look at. This computer system uses industry-standard software
to create summary statistics, which are used for assessing what information is
of most and least interest, determining technical design specifications, and
identifying system performance or problem areas.
- Links to websites outside the U.S. EPA website are for the
convenience of the user. The Standards of Ethical Conduct do not permit the
U.S. EPA to endorse any private sector website, product, or service. The U.S.
EPA does not exercise any editorial control over the information you may find
at this location. These links are being provided consistent with the intended
purpose of this website.
- Where identifying information is asked of you (such as to respond to an information request) that information is provided vountarily by you. It is used only for the stated purpose and is not made available for other purposes. By providing this information voluntarily, you are consenting to its collection for the stated purpose. See our
notice of use.
- No other attempts are made to identify individual users or
their usage habits.
- Unauthorized access to or unauthorized use of this website is subject to criminal, civil, administrative, or other lawful action. For site security and to ensure that this service remains available to all users, the U.S. Government may for any lawful government purpose, without notice, monitor, intercept, search, and seize any authorized or unauthorized communication to or from this website or information used or stored on this website at any time. Any communications or information used, transmitted, or stored on this website may be used or disclosed for any lawful government purpose, including but not limited to, administrative purposes, penetration testing, communication security monitoring, personnel misconduct measures, law enforcement, and counterintelligence inquiries.
- If you have any questions or comments about the information
presented here, or would like to view all personally identifiable information that is in your name and currently stored in support of this website, please contact us through our
Example of the Information Collected for
Below is an example of the information collected based on a
standard request for a World Wide Web document:
1999-06-08 10:32:39 126.96.36.199 - W3SVC5
GET /public/phyto/default.htm - 200 22927 5204 80 HTTP/1.0
- 1999-06-08 10:32:39
- The date and time of the request.
- 188.8.131.52 (or yyy.zzz.com)
- The IP address (or host name) associated with the requestor
(you as the visitor). Depending on the requestor's method of network
connection, the IP address (or host name) may or may not identify a specific
computer. Connections via many Internet Service Providers assign different IP
addresses for each session, so the host name identifies only the ISP. The IP
address (or host name) will identify a specific computer if that computer has a
fixed IP address.
- The site name, a designation used by the web server for
logging purposes. It informs the server that this particular request came
through a website located on this server.
- GET /public/phyto/default.htm
- The location of the requested file.
- The status code. 200 means the request was filled.
- The size of the requested file in bytes.
- The time required to complete the request in
- 80 HTTP/1.0
- The port and protocol used to complete the request.
- Identifies the type of browser software used to access the
page, which indicates what design parameters to use in constructing the
- Identifies the operating system used to access the page,
which indicates what design parameters to use in constructing the pages.
- Identifies the session cookie being used by the server. This web
visitors view while on the website. The is the ONLY purpose for which this web
how users navigate the site, as well as the length of their visits. These cookies are automatically deleted at the end of your session.
- Identifies the page which the user came from before
visiting this page.
Requests for other types of documents use similar information.
No other user-identifying information is collected.
Page last modified: